With Valentine’s Day fast-approaching, the #WeekdaySupper theme for February is, rather appropriately, Red! The perfect Valentine’s dinner should be simple to prepare, elegant to serve and delicious to eat. In fact, I think that’s my cooking motto in general – and these Baked Stuffed Tomatoes fit all three criteria!
Simple, because it’s a quick risotto stuffed into hollowed-out beef tomatoes. Elegant, because topped with ribbons of cheese and asparagus spears, the tomato looks like a pretty little package. Delicious, because it combines Italian flavours (and who doesn’t love those?!) with a touch of luxury in the asparagus and white wine.
I’ve made these a completely gluten-free and vegetarian dish – though you could add meat to the risotto if you really can’t face dinner without it. There’s also very little washing up – because the last thing you want to be doing after the perfect, candle-lit dinner is facing a pile of pans.
Baked Stuffed Tomatoes
Beef tomatoes stuffed with risotto and topped with asparagus spears.
- 2 large beef tomatoes
- 120g arborio risotto rice
- 75ml vegetable stock
- 30ml dry white wine
- 2 tsp cooking oil
- 1/2 an onion
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 baby bell pepper
- 50g green beans
- 4 asparagus spears
- 20g halloumi cheese
- 20g cream cheese
- Dried oregano and black pepper to season
- Slice the tops off the beef tomatoes and hollow out seeds and flesh. Place on a baking tray and leave to one side. Keep the flesh for the risotto.
- Put the cooking oil in a saucepan and put over a medium heat.
- Finely chop the onion and add to the pan with the crushed garlic.
- Cook gently until softened and onion is transluscent. Add the rice and stir until well mixed. Add the white wine and allow to boil down to a simmer.
- Add a ladleful of stock at a time, covering pan and allowing the rice to absorb each ladle of stock before adding the next.
- Dice the bell pepper and green beans; trim asparagus to short spears and dice the remaining stem. Add the chopped veg, except asparagus heads, to the pan with the final ladleful of stock, along with the tomato flesh. Stir constantly until the stock has been absorbed.
- Stir in the cream cheese; add dried oregano and black pepper to taste.
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Spoon the risotto into the tomatoes.
- Slice the halloumi into thin ribbons and lay across the top. Finish with two asparagus spears on each tomato.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, until the very top is beginning to crisp.
- Serve straight away, with a salad garnish if desired.
Happy Baking Days http://www.happybakingdays.com/
There are more red-themed dishes coming throughout the week, so make sure to check back for more great recipe ideas – you can see what’s on offer below!