It is a truly exciting #SundaySupper for me this week: our Free For All theme is all about recipes which are suitable for people with special diets, whether nut-free, dairy-free, or – my speciality – gluten-free. It’s hosted by Bea of The Not So Cheesy Kitchen (a very well-qualified host for this theme!)
Since nearly all of the recipes I post are gluten-free, I thought I should test myself a bit and come up with a bake also suitable for people with nut allergies and lactose intolerance, so I turned to one of my favourite treats: Coconut Macaroons.
It wasn’t too long ago that I attempted French Macarons, and for a long time I have been wanting to try my hand at making their cousins, Coconut Macaroons. Whilst at first glance, Macarons and Macaroons look nothing alike, once you see the ingredients, it makes sense that they share a name. They both involve a meringue base, but with Macaroons you add dessicated coconut rather than ground almonds. That’s about it!
Happily, these Macaroons are nowhere near as fussy to make as their French counterparts – there’s very little preparation involved, measures need not be exact, and the egg whites don’t need to be beaten to a precise stiff peak. In fact, I can’t believe I have never made them before. Now, I think I will be making them often, rather than getting the shop-bought version, they are that easy and delicious.
The best thing about them, for this theme at least, is that you don’t have to compromise on anything to make them nut, dairy and gluten free. They just are.
Coconut is one of my favourite things – it just reminds me of Summer. It’s such a wonderful flavour and a such robust ingredient that very little else is needed. And on a Summer’s day, Macaroons make a delightful alternative to cakes, as they are so light and airy.
Gluten, Dairy and Nut Free treats.
- 3 egg whites
- 75g caster sugar
- 175g dessicated coconut
- A few drops of Vanilla essence
- A sprinkle of salt
- 40g dark chocolate (dairy free)
- Preheat the oven to 160C. Grease a flat baking tray and line with baking parchment.
- Whisk the egg whites in a large bowl until foamy, then add the caster sugar, vanilla essence and a dash of salt. Whisk until the mixture is thick and glossy, but not so that it is stiff.
- Tip in the dessicated coconut and fold in with a spoon until it is all combined.
- With wet hands (to stop the mixture sticking to them - otherwise you get into a real mess!) scoop up about half a handful of the mixture and mould into a small dome, then place onto the baking sheet. Continue until you have used up all the mixture - it should make about 8 macaroons.
- Bake for 15-20 mins, or until the macaroons are going golden-brown.
- Remove baking parchment, with macaroons attached, and place onto a wire rack to let the macaroons cool.
- Once cool, use a palette knife to carefully remove the macaroons from the parchment.
- Melt the chocolate in a bowl over a pan of boiling water, then use a small spoon to drizzle the chocolate over the macaroons.
Happy Baking Days http://www.happybakingdays.com/
Take a look at the other Free For All recipes from the rest of the #SundaySupper group:
- Dairy, Egg, Gluten, Nut & Soy Free Brown Rice Breakfast Pudding by girlichef
- Dairy & Nut and Sugar Free Blueberry Tangerine Muffins by Vintage Kitchen
- Dairy, Egg, Gluten, Nut, and Soy Free Homemade Mango Jam Recipe by Masala Herb
- Dairy & Gluten Free Individual Chocolate Pavlovas by The Girl in The Little Red Kitchen
- Gluten Free Flourless Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Cookies by Juanita’s Cocina
- Dairy, Egg & Gluten Free Apple Almond Butter Cookies by What Smells So Good?
- Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies with Almond Flour by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Nut Free Lemon Cardamom Wedding Cookies by Gourmet Drizzles
- Dairy Free Chocolate Gelato by Growing Up Gabel
- Dairy, Egg, Gluten & Sugar Free Cantaloupe, Strawberry, & Coconut Gazpacho by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Gluten Free Meringue Kisses with Dulce de Lece by Basic N Delicious
- Dairy & Egg Free Vegan Everyday Chocolate Loaf by Gotta Get Baked
- Gluten, Dairy, and Nut Free Coconut Macaroons by Happy Baking Days
- Dairy, Egg, Gluten & Soy Free Tastes like Chocolate Ice Cream by Cookistry
- Gluten Free Enoki Mushroom & Pine Nut Quinoa by Family Foodie
- Gluten Free Mousse & Cookies by Ninja Baking
- Gluten Free Brown Butter Snickerdooles by Pies and Plots
- Dairy, Egg & Soy Free Chai Spice Coconut Ice Cream by Daily Dish Recipes
- Gluten Free Lemonade Dip by The Messy Baker
- Nut & Fat Free Chocolate Angel Food Cake by Table for Seven
Don’t forget, you can join the picnic discussion on Twitter throughout the day, where we’ll be tweeting and sharing the recipes. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm EST. To join in, just follow the #SundaySupper hashtag, and remember to include it in your tweets. You can also check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more delicious recipes and photos.